Sent to you by Vachak via Google Reader:
via Healthy Eating for Busy People - Dietriffic.com by Melanie on 9/11/08
Fuelling up regularly is important to prevent binging on unhealthy foods and eating too much at our main meals. The best choice is something that offers a complex carbohydrate and a source of protein to keep you feeling sustained throughout the day.
If you eat breakfast at 8am, ideally you should aim to have your mid-morning snack around 10.30am, lunch around 1pm, mid-afternoon snack around 3.30pm, and evening meal around 6pm. This way your blood sugar levels are maintained at an even level, preventing ravenous hunger that often leads to overeating, and poor food choices.
If you’ve run out of ideas for snacking, here are a few suggestions to help you out:
- 1 rye crisp bread with cottage cheese and a pinch of garam masala.
- Small serve of tuna mixed with natural yoghurt and herbs, spread onto 3 celery sticks.
- 4 carrot sticks, 2 cherry tomatoes, and 4 green beans served with guacamole dip.
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce with 1 slice of wholegrain bread, toasted, and cut into 4 strips for dunking.
- Frozen yoghurt lollipops.
- 2 multi grain crackers topped with a small serve of cheddar cheese and sliced green grapes.
- 1 tablespoon of mixed seeds, 3 strips of red pepper, 2 thick slices of mushroom.
- 1 small apple sliced, 1 tablespoon peanut butter for dipping, 20 raisins sprinkled on top.
- 1 oatcake with cottage cheese and fresh coriander.
- A small serving of natural yoghurt with pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- 2 multi grain crackers topped with grated cucumber, natural yoghurt, and a sprig of mint.
- A small bowl of frozen berries and natural yoghurt, topped with linseeds.
- 8 cashew nuts, 3 carrot sticks, and 2 thick slices of cucumber.
- A small cup of homemade vegetable soup.
- 2 rice cakes spread with hummus, and topped with cherry tomatoes.
- 1 rice cake spread with pesto, topped with a small amount of mackerel, and diced tomatoes.
- A small bowl of natural yoghurt with 1/2 cup unsweetened granola.
- 3 handfuls of unbuttered/unsweetened popcorn, seasoned with herbs
- 6 Brazil nuts, 4 small florets of broccoli, and 2 cherry tomatoes.
- Small serving of natural yoghurt, with linseed’s, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- 2 crisp breads spread with mashed avocado and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- 2 multi grain crispbreads topped with salmon, cottage cheese, and herbs.
- 2 small kiwis sliced, and 6 almonds.
- 1/2 cup pure orange juice, frozen and eaten as sorbet
- 1 rice cake topped with a hard-boiled egg and mixed herbs.
What are your snack suggestions?