Sent to you by Vachak via Google Reader:
How to makeover a recipe
Lets say you want your chocolate brownies. BUT you don't want the added fat and calories.... there is a way to still have your cake and eat it :)
There are certain ways that one can 'makeover' a recipe by replacing ingredients that aren't too healthy such as butter, with more beneficial ingredients:
1. Remove a particular ingredient: Do your brownies REALLY need nuts? Does your homemade pizza REALLY need the extra cheese? Get rid of anything that isn't essential and may just be adding unnecessary calories.
2. Replace butter with applesauce or mashed bananas. If you don't want to replace all of the butter just make the recipe 1/2 butter 1/2 applesauce.
3. Reduce sugar by 1/3 and then add a little bit of vanilla essense.
4. Replace sugar substitute such as splenda.
5. Use less salt .
6. If a recipe calls for flour or pasta, why not go for the wholewheat version instead?
7. Use lowfat alternatives for cheese, mayo and sour cream.
Do you have any ideas to 'makeover' a recipe?
Things you can do from here:
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your favorite sites