Sent to you by Vachak via Google Reader:
The Top 10 Healthiest Foods
via WordPress.com Tag Feed by quest4health on 9/8/08
- Olive Oil is loaded with healthy monounsaturated fat, which has some excellent health benefits, like decreasing your risk for diseases like heart disease and cancer. People who get more of their fat from monounsaturated sources such as olive oil and less from saturated/trans fat have lower likelihoods of developing heart disease, diabetes, many types of cancers, and asthma.
- Blueberries contain antioxidants that have been shown to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Blueberries have been linked to many health benefits, including decreasing the risk of heart disease and cancer, vision and urinary health, and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Yogurt contains healthy bacteria that boosts your immune system, protects your body against infection and helps with gastrointestinal issues. Yogurt has also been shown to help prevent osteoporosis, lower cholesterol and reduce a person's risk for high blood pressure. It's a great source for calcium and B vitamins too. Make sure you understand how to read the food label and don't choose flavored yogurts that are loaded with sugar.
- Broccoli has lots of antioxidants and is loaded with vitamin C, calcium and folic acid. Broccoli is a proven cancer fighter – eating broccoli helps the body to create cancer fighting substances internally and it helps prevent many different types of cancers. Broccoli is very high in fiber and low in calories too.
- Spinach has been linked to a decreased risk of conditions such as cancer and heart disease. It's extremely high in antioxidants and vitamins A and C, in addition to potassium and folate. Not many foods can match the health benefits and low calories of spinach and other green, leafy vegetables, including kale and Swiss chard.
- Tomatoes are high in lycopene, which is an antioxidant that has many health benefits, including helping to prevent several types of cancer. Tomatoes are loaded with vitamins A and C, and potassium. Eating tomatoes lowers the risk of developing heart disease, increases prostrate health and assists in lowering cholesterol. Ketchup is a good source of lycopene, but be sure to pick organic ketchup, because it contains larger amounts of lycopene (up to 3x as much).
- Apples help lower cholesterol, prevent many types of cancers, and help fight other conditions, including Alzheimer's disease, asthma, and diabetes. Apples are very high in antioxidant and have high amounts of vitamin C and fiber. However, apples are one of the most pesticide-ridden fruits with pesticides, so choose organic varieties.
- Salmon is packed with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to lower risk of sudden-death heart attacks, heart disease, memory loss, and Alzheimer's disease. It has been shown to control symptoms of conditions such as arthritis and depression too.
- Sweet potatoes are heart healthy foods that contain large amounts of fiber, potassium, and vitamins A and C. They also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits, and stabilize blood sugar levels and have cancer- and heart disease-fighting benefits.
- Almonds are packed with heart healthy monounsaturated (good) fats and also contain protein, fiber, potassium, and calcium. They are high in vitamin E as well and help lower cholesterol levels, lower your risk of conditions like heart disease and diabetes, and have cancer fighting properties as well.
Things you can do from here:
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your favorite sites